Under the direction of both the Director of Clinic Operations (DCO) and Nurse Manager, the Registered Nurse (RN) is responsible for assessing patient needs (physical, emotional, social, and spiritual), planning and performing direct and indirect nursing interventions, and evaluating appropriateness and effectiveness of nursing care. Must be willing to be trained in obstetrical ultrasound. Bi-lingual or sonography experience is a plus!
- Holds a current license in good standing with the California Board of Registered Nurses (RN).
- Has current CPR certification.
- Possesses good physical and mental health (annual TB test/flu vaccination/health exam required).
- Demonstrates competent knowledge of care for STI, obstetrical, and women’s health issues.
- Agrees with the RealOptions’ Statements of Principle, Mission, and Faith.
- Is dependable, stable, and capable of following through on commitments.
- Has a sincere desire to reach out to women and their families in unplanned pregnancies especially the abortion-vulnerable and abortion-minded.
- Respects confidentiality.
- Maintains a consistent life-affirming philosophy and would never refer/advise a woman to have an abortion.
- Completion of the volunteer orientation requirements.
- Gives a concentrated amount of time shadowing an RN sonographer (as determined by the Manager) and observe many ultrasounds prior to practical training.
- Agrees to complete a concentrated sonography training program with RealOptions associates and be willing to dedicate 10 days of full-time training hours plus travel if needed.
- Will practice new sonography skills under the supervision of an RN sonographer/Manager until authorized to complete solo ultrasounds.
- All RN sonographers perform under the Medical Director.
- Complete all requirements within 1.5 years of Ultrasound training to receive the Golden Certificate of completion.
- Available and willing to work in all RealOptions clinic locations during hours of operation as scheduled and some weekends.
B. Patient Care
- Performance of pregnancy tests and STD/STI testing per clinic protocol.
- Reviews and/or completes Ultrasound medical history confirms all consents and patient paperwork completed.
- Provides medical education on ultrasound procedures, STIs, the Abortion pill (RU-486), and pregnancy testing to all patients per clinic protocol.
- Helps the patient and family develop an understanding of their condition, identifies needs, establishes goals, and institutes an appropriate plan for self-care.
- Provides health education to the patient and family and implements therapeutic care plans.
- Maintains accurate records, accurate care plans, and implements healthcare discharge summary plan.
- Provides nursing care that assesses patient needs and makes nursing judgments that reflect safe nursing practices.
- Demonstrates confidence and is comfortable completing abdominal and vaginal ultrasound examinations.
- Takes precautionary measures to provide a chaperone as needed.
- Performs various related tasks such as re-stocking and checking for needed supplies, filling soap dispensers, checking expiration dates on all pertinent items, and notifying the Nurse Manager or Clinic Operations Manager of any discrepancies found. Downloading and filing ultrasound reports, patient lab reports, or other correspondence in their charts per clinic protocol.
- Ability to assess and perform in the event of an anaphylactic or other emergency situation.
- Documents manual and/or electronic patient information on specific chart entries in a timely manner.
C. Personal and Staff Development
- Participates in staff meetings and in-service meetings as directed.
- Maintains professional licensure.
- Maintains and improves working knowledge of nursing methods, principles, and practices in relation to prevention and treatment of disease, emergency procedures, safety and infection control, clinical systems, supplies, and equipment.
- Maintains working knowledge of ultrasound techniques and principles and practices of safety/universal precautions.
- Participates in all fundraising and community outreach events which includes inviting family, friends, and church members to join you at these events.
- Helps to promote all RO events at your church and among your circle of friends. Willing to be a team player to assist or become the volunteer Ambassador at your local church to represent RO throughout the year in various ways as allowed by your pastor (tabling/bulletin announcements/website links, brochures on outreach tables, sharing in small groups, etc.).
- Attends a Discover RealOptions class prior to or shortly after being hired.
- Attends and encourages volunteers to attend the annual Volunteer Appreciation Dinner.
Candidates, please email your Employment Application, resume with a cover letter, and references to Tasha Keirns, RN, Director of Nursing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted by email. No phone calls please.